HELLO! I have gotten 2 jobs (!) since y'all left, so I am sorry I am just now checking in.
It looks AMAZING out there. So happy y'all are doing this. And jealous! :D
I asked my bro-in-law about the topmost pic and he had this to say:
If I had to guess, I'd say the mystery photo is of Darlingtonia californica ... AKA the California Pitcher plant, AKA the Cobra Lily, AKA the Cobra Plant.
D. Californica Is a carnivorous plant -- so take that, vegans! Who's eating whom, now?
Darlingtonia is found native in Northern California and Oregon, growing mainly in cold bogs and seeps. There's a pretty accessible stand we visited once upon a time at the Darlingtonia Botanical Wayside in Florence, Oregon.
Cool! Glad I asked. I'll keep you posted on the other one (forgot to send he and my sis the 2nd pic). I have seen that other plant, and it is weeeird.
Just now. Figuring out the ins and outs of all this. Thanks for the plant info. We would love to be able to say that the hotel owner was acting as a carnivorous plant in order to prevent the sale.of the place until us meddeling kids ruined everything, but really we just kinda gave lisa her keys back. Did party on the roof. Paul
Just now getting this text thing down. Glad you like the plant pics. We are celebrating my b day in sierra city tonight. We are finally not staying at a spooky old hotel. Can't believe that labor day is close. Hope all is good. No water from a cactus yet, but we did have to walk 12 miles between springs once. Up
Sounds fun. I recently partied on a roof in PHX. We were on the rooftop of some swanky condos and there was a pool. Great time after catching some live music and drinks at the Crescent Ballroom! :D
Interesting stuff on the 2nd plant, also from my B-i-L:
It looks like Sutherlandia frutescens AKA Cancer Bush AKA Balloon Pea.
If that’s what it is, it’s one of about a gazillion widespread exotics from southern Africa. This one has a very long history of medicinal use, being used to treat everything from washing wounds, to treating cancer (hence the name).
I just saw the same plant while Drew and I were hiking in the Kachina Wilderness up in Flag. Strange indeed....
Interesting.. Happy to hear u r safe and enjoying yourself..I LOVE the amount of detail in the prohibited activities.
ReplyDeleteThx. Me too. You might want thoss rules just about anywhere. BTW who is this?
DeleteI am hurt.. This is Ben..lol
DeleteHELLO! I have gotten 2 jobs (!) since y'all left, so I am sorry I am just now checking in.
ReplyDeleteIt looks AMAZING out there. So happy y'all are doing this. And jealous! :D
I asked my bro-in-law about the topmost pic and he had this to say:
If I had to guess, I'd say the mystery photo is of Darlingtonia californica ... AKA the California Pitcher plant, AKA the Cobra Lily, AKA the Cobra Plant.
D. Californica Is a carnivorous plant -- so take that, vegans! Who's eating whom, now?
Darlingtonia is found native in Northern California and Oregon, growing mainly in cold bogs and seeps. There's a pretty accessible stand we visited once upon a time at the Darlingtonia Botanical Wayside in Florence, Oregon.
Cool! Glad I asked.
I'll keep you posted on the other one (forgot to send he and my sis the 2nd pic). I have seen that other plant, and it is weeeird.
You cats take care and have fun.
Renu :)
Just now. Figuring out the ins and outs of all this. Thanks for the plant info. We would love to be able to say that the hotel owner was acting as a carnivorous plant in order to prevent the sale.of the place until us meddeling kids ruined everything, but really we just kinda gave lisa her keys back. Did party on the roof. Paul
ReplyDeleteJust now getting this text thing down. Glad you like the plant pics. We are celebrating my b day in sierra city tonight. We are finally not staying at a spooky old hotel. Can't believe that labor day is close. Hope all is good. No water from a cactus yet, but we did have to walk 12 miles between springs once. Up
ReplyDeleteSounds fun. I recently partied on a roof in PHX. We were on the rooftop of some swanky condos and there was a pool. Great time after catching some live music and drinks at the Crescent Ballroom! :D
ReplyDeleteInteresting stuff on the 2nd plant, also from my B-i-L:
It looks like Sutherlandia frutescens AKA Cancer Bush AKA Balloon Pea.
If that’s what it is, it’s one of about a gazillion widespread exotics from southern Africa. This one has a very long history of medicinal use, being used to treat everything from washing wounds, to treating cancer (hence the name).
I just saw the same plant while Drew and I were hiking in the Kachina Wilderness up in Flag. Strange indeed....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete